Buchanan & Edwards is looking for a senior level Program Director with experience managing large fixed price software development projects through agile development methodologies. The ideal candidate will be able to manage one or a portfolio of projects across a number of federal civilian agencies, exceeding customer expectations while managing to a profitable outcome.
Growth requires a strong foundation, and at Buchanan & Edwards, our people are our strength. They are the foundation for building the next generation of innovative IT solutions, revolutionizing the industry, and solving the nation’s most critical challenges.
Let Buchanan & Edwards help you unleash your potential and reach your goals.
Come grow with us.
• Manage one or more fixed price software development efforts of all sizes ranging from small to large (more than $50M).
• Use agile development methodologies to engage end users and stakeholders throughout the process and exceed customer expectations.
• Track project progress using earned value or other techniques.
• Responsible for the oversight for all staffing efforts on the program to include: posting and tracking all positions, interviewing candidates, maintaining staffing roster and managing the subcontractor team and their positions on the contract.
• Responsible for ensuring that all project activities are performed and completed in a timely, cost-effective, and efficient manner.
• Serve as official POC for Buchanan and Edwards.
• Responsible for understanding requirements and ensuring that program personnel are fulfilling requirements.
• Responsible for the quality, content, and prompt delivery of all task and contractual deliverables associated with the program.
• Responsible for planning, organizing, controlling, directing, and staffing the technical, administrative, financial, contractual and personnel actions required of the program.
• Responsible for planning, directing, scheduling, and executing all SOW elements.
• Interface with customer to understand customer needs and maintain customer relationship.
• Assist in career development plans for Buchanan & Edwards employees and manage compliance with training requirements and performance reviews.
• Demonstrated ability to understand program details underway, summarize key concerns, provide corrective action recommendations, and develop action plans.
• Demonstrated ability to pro-actively identify risks and opportunities across large, complex programs.
• Advanced knowledge and significant (over 10 years) experience delivering fixed price software development projects using agile processes.
• Thorough understanding of project management and agile development processes.
• Understands earned value, cost estimating, and cost tracking.
• Well versed in technology concepts. Able to have moderately technical discussions with customer stakeholders.
• Ability to estimate level of effort based on program goals and customer requirements.
• Ability to manage large tiered organizations with supervisors reporting up to the role.
• Problem Solving/Complexity: May have expertise in specific areas; problem solving frequently requires analysis of unique issues without precedent or structure.
• Makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty, sometimes with incomplete information, that produce effective end results.
• Supervision Received/Independent Judgement: Escalation of issues to senior management or subject matter experts occurs only for highly complex matters. High degree of autonomy is expected.
What you’ve got (Qualifications & Skills)
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Master’s degree in a technology, engineering, or related field.
• Project Management Professional
• Agile certification
• Leadership experience and skills, with exceptional interpersonal and communications skills to manage a team of over 40 staff, organizational leadership, and the customer.
• 10+ years of prior work experience.
• Minimum 5 years of experience with Government, Intelligence Community, or Commercial technical or systems development projects.
• Experience managing profit and loss for a program with revenue of over $50M per year.
• Experience managing a portfolio of small development efforts, smaller than $1M.
• Relevant experience with successful management of an enterprise network of similar size, scope, and complexity.
• Excellent briefing, writing, communication, administrative and organizational skills
• Extensive experience developing technical briefs and presenting at the executive level
• Empathetic communicator – you have skills to clearly share ideas in a way that adapts to your audience, regardless of function, level or expertise
• Critical, big-picture thinker — you are analytical, looking into logic-based details while always considering and problem-solving for the overall big picture
• Self-starter – you are proactive, self-motivated and able to push work, start initiatives and provide ideas independently in a team environment.
• Creative entrepreneur – you have a constant drive to make things better, question the status quo, and approach common challenges with constructive criticism
• Credible knowledge sharer — you have a constant thirst for knowledge and the ability to credibly share it with and educate others on it, whether internal and external (colleagues, clients, industry groups)
• Team player – the ability to foster professional and personal respect from others and do your best work in a team setting. While highly collaborative, you have natural management skills and know how to grow and develop your people
• Poised professional – you have credibility and presence with everyone from leadership to clients, can effectively navigate various organizational environments and know how to manage expectations
• Adaptable multi-tasker – you are highly organized and flexible, able to thrive in fast- paced, constantly changing environments and successfully adapt to a variety of tasks
How we work (team & culture)
• Collaborative — we work together and help each other do our best work by building on our work across teams and offices. We don’t own individual ideas or look for credit
• User driven — we place our clients and users’ needs above all else. If it matters to a user, it matters to us. We work for them - who we report to keeps us accountable to that
• Hands-on — we get in the thick of it, get things done always hold ourselves accountable. We do it ourselves, we don’t delegate, and we don’t wait for problems to occur
• In it — we don’t let coworkers or clients figure it out, we get in the thick of it and do it with them. We are experts on every detail and take pride in our work
• Forward looking — we look beyond our own world to constantly improve our business. We welcome outside speakers, tap into the latest tech, and to make sure we’re always tapped into what’s coming and future-proof
• Caring & close knit — we know and care about our people’s whole-person. We know each other’s project superpowers – but also our upcoming family trips and favorite lunch spot
Buchanan & Edwards, Inc. (BE) is an Information Technology and Professional Services consulting firm located in Arlington, VA. BE is a diversified high-technology services company, providing government, commercial and nonprofit agencies technology solutions and organizational management services to ensure mission success. Serving the federal sector since 1998, we base our solutions on an in-depth understanding of our clients, their mission and the unique challenges they face. BE is the winner of the 2015 Microsoft U.S. Federal Solution Partner of the Year award, a 2015 and 2016 Washington Post Top Workplace and has been an Inc. 500/5000 awardee for six consecutive years.
Buchanan & Edwards, Inc. is dedicated to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We are committed to crafting a workplace that endorses creativity and innovation, and promotes engagement through open communication, acceptance of new people and ideas, and a supportive team dynamic. Buchanan & Edwards, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EOE Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled. Buchanan & Edwards, Inc. is an E-Verify employer.